In the last 4 years, People with Albinism in Malawi have suffered 113 abductions, 14 missing, 25 murdered and 7 attempted murders – a total of 159 violent personal attacks. Against that background, we welcome the news just in that Tain Royal Academy have donated £7,000 to the Trust to enable us to construct a defensive wall round the unit for the visually impaired at Ekwendeni Primary School, where there are currently 15 learners with albinism. Well done to the pupils and staff of the school – you have made a difference!
In other news, while in Lilongwe just off the plane, we:
- ¬ Delivered 4 boxes of urgently needed medical supplies to the haemophilia unit (donated by Haemophilia Scotland)
- ¬ Delivered a box to CCAP Lilongwe
- ¬ Met with 2 young people on behalf of Focus on Malawi and gave them their living expenses – these two are studying eye care
- ¬ Delivered a laptop to another eye care learner, again on behalf of Focus on Malawi
- ¬ Met with Mphatso, the accountant at Malawi Scotland Partnership, who we are mentoring
- ¬ Met with Johnny Dowds to discuss progress on Living Trees of Livingstonia – to whom we provide accountancy advice as Finance Director – he works with 20 primary schools and 1 secondary school, setting up sustainable feeding programmes, irrigation schemes and much, much more.